Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
Archived CloudStack Forums for reference purposes please direct all future inquiries to the Apache CloudStack mailing lists.

incubator.apache.org/cloudstack/mailing-lists.html

TOPIC: Can't get VM password using command getVMPassword

Can't get VM password using command getVMPassword 11 months 3 weeks ago #12030

Dear all,

I've been trying to get a vm password using API command "getVMPassword" from a vm using template with password enabled (the centos default template to be exact). However, it always result in error :

"[error] => No password for VM with id '70' found."

I also try to reset the vm password, it goes fine (i got a new password on a dialog box that popped up after the reset password operation successful).

I find it strange, why would reset vm password successfull (and did return a new password), but command "getVmPassword" ended in failure?

Any suggestion is greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Tommy
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Can't get VM password using command getVMPassword 11 months 2 weeks ago #12265

• sebgoa
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 7
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. Did you get it solved ?

I can't offer much help on this particular question, but you might consider sending an email to the users mailing list This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

-Sebastien

Re: Can't get VM password using command getVMPassword 9 months 3 weeks ago #12737

I am guessing that you do not have a ssh keypair associated with the said VM.

getVMPassword API returns an encrypted password. This only works if you have a keypair associated with the VM (done at the time of VM creation. You may then use the private key to decrypt the encrypted password returned by the above API. There is no other means of retrieving a VMs password.

It's designed this way for security; ideally Cloudstack (orchestration layer) won't want to store access information to a guest VM and it's data.
Time to create page: 0.315 seconds

Open@Citrix

Citrix supports the open source community via developer support and evangeslism. We have a number of developers and evangelists that participate actively in the open source community in Apache Cloudstack, OpenDaylight, Xen Project and XenServer. We also conduct educational activities via the Build A Cloud events held all over the world. 

Connect