Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
This forum is devoted to discussions around virtualization technologies related to cloud computing including Xen Cloud Platform, KVM and VMware.
  • Page:

TOPIC: ESX vSwitch workaround with 3.0

ESX vSwitch workaround with 3.0 1 year 4 months ago #9584

• tamasm
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 7
Hello,

I'm using 4.1 ESX environment and realized that the latest 3.0 release does not work propely with multiple vSwitches via the graphical network mapping wizard. Regardless what I choose there and how I set it up all network ends up on vSwitch0. The previous vmware.guest.vswitch/vmware.public.vswitch/vmware.private.vswitch options were removed from the global configuration page to force users to use the wizard.

Luckily the cloudstack guys did not remove the functionality and configuration options completely just marked them as hidden in the database. All I needed to do is modify the category of the options mentioned above from 'Hidden' to 'Advanced'. After this I was able to use the GUI and map the vSwitches properly and it finally works.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: ESX vSwitch workaround with 3.0 1 year 4 months ago #9585

• tamasm
  • Expert Boarder
Also I wanted to use a separate storage network with VLAN tagging but found cloudstack seems to ignore the VLAN tag so it keeps creating cloud.storage.untagged VM networks. I've found an ideal vSwitch configuration for advanced nwtorking in 3.0 which seems to work fine:

vSwitch0:
for management and secondary storage traffic, same vlan with swicthport mode access (vmware.private.vswitch)
vSwitch1:
trunk mode for your HW iscsi initiators, multiple storage networks(not managed by CS)
vSwitch2:
VLAN tagged public and guest traffic for the advanced networking. (vmware.guest.vswitch and vmware.public.vswitch)

Hope this helps

Re: ESX vSwitch workaround with 3.0 10 months 2 weeks ago #12454

• mortiz
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi,

Thanks for your post it´s really interesting... could you give in oorder to activate this hidden options?

If we can only use vSwitch0, we have a vmware vswitch port group limitation to 256 VLANs (including iscsi, vmtion....) for this reason we want to use vswitch0 for management... and vSwitch1 for customers.

Regards!!

Re: ESX vSwitch workaround with 3.0 10 months 2 weeks ago #12459

• tamasm
  • Expert Boarder

Re: ESX vSwitch workaround with 3.0 10 months 2 weeks ago #12462

• mortiz
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks a lot, im testing API calls to creating a secund physical network in the sabe zone and using tags¡ I tell you if i can use another vswitch using the method.

Regards

Re: ESX vSwitch workaround with 3.0 10 months 4 days ago #12599

I've been trying to tell CS with basic networking to use vSwitch1 for the mgmt traffic and it doesn't seam to like it.

I tried using the hidden labels mentioned here and all possible combinations with the portgroup label, with the same results.

I see in the logs that the server reads the value, but it does something else with it

2012-09-12 11:36:48,421 INFO [hypervisor.vmware.VmwareServerDiscoverer] (catalina-exec-24:null) Detected private network label : vSwitch1,5555
2012-09-12 11:37:01,503 INFO [vmware.mo.HypervisorHostHelper] (catalina-exec-24:null) Waiting for network cloud.private.5555.0.1-vSwitch0 to be ready

Any ideas on how to fix this?

My latest test was changing my vswitch order (format, rise, reconfigure) so that the CS mgmt is on vswitch0 and mine on vswitch1. But it is not a nice prospect for my roleout.
Last Edit: 10 months 4 days ago by epablosensei.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.296 seconds
About BuildaCloud.org Resources Site Info

Build a Cloud.org is a resource for those users who want to build cloud computing software with both open source and proprietary software.